Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Paranoia" by J.E. Braun

Featured Book and Author -
"Paranoia" by J.E. Braun

Publisher: iUniverse
Released in: 2008
Website: http://www.jebraun.com/

What inspired you to write this book?
As the 5 year anniversary of 9/11 began to approach, I was observing people who had not been at one of the sites that day and how their lives had changed. I began to wonder, where is the survivor today? ...and Paranoia was born.

What is your favorite chapter in the book and why?
The book is told through post-traumatic flashbacks. Toward the end, the walls between flashback and reality begin to break down. It allowed me to play with tense, POV, and some other things that made the chapter fun to write and, I think, really interesting to read.

Do you have other books you have written? If yes, what are they?
Currently shopping my second novel, The Offensive around. A tale of what happens when society goes astray and ordinary citizens are forced to become revolutionaries.

Is there a particular event that stands out to you that helped you become an author?
Well, I was into art when I was young. A friend of mine showed me some things he'd written and, all respect to him, I thought..wow, I can do that, too! That was it. I studied literature in college...and 9/11 inspired me to finally publish.

Was there a person in your life who believed in you more than you believed in yourself? If so, who was that person?
In college I belonged to an organization and we were debating over some issues. Every once in a while I woud jump in, but for the most part I was quiet and the debates raged on. Finally, an older member of the organization came over to me and whispered, "John, say something. They trust you and respect what you say. If you speak up, the debate will be over." And it was. From that day on, I gained a new self-confidence.

What advice would you give to writers wishing to have their works published?
There are so many options available today, but make sure you do it the way you want to do it. If you're expecting a book on the bookstore shelves, you may not want to self-publish - persevere in trying to go the traditional route. Either way, it involves hard work, sacrifice, great timing, and even some luck.

Do you have a quote that motivates you?
Always loved, "All men die. Not all men truly live." - Braveheart

10% of all profits from sales of "Paranoia" will be donated to the Twin Towers Orphan Fund (www.ttof.org).
****
Thank you for the interview! Sounds like you've got some exciting things going on with your books and writing journey! I wish you all the best ...
~Wendy

No comments: